Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Constitution

The Constitution of The United States of America was signed September 17, 1787. That makes today (well, unless you're up late and reading this Wednesday night when I posted it) the 222nd anniversary of the signing of the Constitution. We might all do well to take a little refresher course and read this important document as well as consider the differences between the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution and why those changes were made.

I subscribe to a website that offers a "homeschool freebie" every weekday and in honor of this day, they provided an audio recording of the Constitution as well as a few links:
The Bill of Rights Institute
Constitution Facts

I should say that these resources are available specifically because there is a federal mandate that schools receiving federal funding hold an educational program pertaining to the Constitution on September 17 every year. At first glance, that's the sort of mandate that would rankle my feathers. I have to admit though, those students that live in this country, under this set of guidelines, government and laws really ought to have a basic understanding of how it works and why. I could probably take great issue with the specific implementation of such a program in some schools, but then, that's why I'm planning to exercise my right to educate my children myself.

I will also admit that I took the Do You Know Your Constitution? quiz and only scored an 80%, which just isn't good enough for my perfectionist personality, so I'll be doing a little studying too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...