Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Carly's latest adventure



Last night we were all ready to go to bed when Josh discovered Carly had chewed up a pair of his underwear (yum, right?). I just laughed and said I was glad it wasn't mine, so of course karma had to come back and get me. We walk back to our room to find she had also dug one of my bras out of the dirty laundry and eaten it. I'm not exaggerating. An entire strap gone. Most of the back (including the hooks) gone. And it can't be a cheapie, right? No, it's gotta be the expensive one I wear with nice shirts, because, you know, a pup's gotta have taste.

I worked as a vet tech for several years and I admit my knowledge is fairly outdated, but I was pretty sure what she had eaten was too big to pass without a problem. I also have vivid memories of the surgery required to fix such a situation (an a specific little dachshund and all the random stuff we surgically removed from his stomach). It was already midnight, so we decided to take her out in the yard and make her give back what she had eaten. The best at home option for that is plain ol' hydrogen peroxide by mouth (stay away from ipecac, if they don't throw up, you then have to pump their stomach to get it out because it's toxic). In the vet clinic, we always gave fluids also so they wouldn't be dehydrated, but we weren't dealing with a toxicity problem or anything, just needed one good heave to mostly clear her stomach, so I figured she'd be fine. Sure enough, she vomited it all up and turns out (as I suspected) she didn't even have the decency to chew it into smaller pieces, everything was pretty much whole. She looked at us like, "why'd you go and do that?!?", drank some water and is a-okay today. Adventures in puppy hood! I must say, in the 6 weeks we've had her, that's the only thing she's destroyed aside from a few pair of underwear, so I think she's doing pretty good!

The good news is I made cinnamon rolls (it's a fabulous America's Test Kitchen recipe that pretty closely mimics cinnabon rolls) and I'm pretty sure we're just going to eat them for dinner

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...