Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The girls trying to do yoga together


I'm in a funk. My babies are growing up and that makes me sad. Babies are definitely not easy--there's the crying, the sleep deprivation, the poop explosions, the "will you please, please, please, just somehow tell me WHAT YOU WANT?!?". But I like babies. I'm good with babies. Nothing matches a soft, chubby hand against your skin and baby breath on your cheek. I also like toddlers. Yes, it's true. There's a sort of no-man's land where they want to be mobile but need constant supervision and that's hard, but the year from about 18-30 months is so far my favorite childhood time. The movements, the words, the cuddles, it's all so sweet. And my baby is quickly growing out of it :-( She alternates now between saying, "I not baby, I two now!" and "I two, momma's baby". I wish they stayed little longer. All my life I've wanted to be older, to move on to the next step and I can honestly say I don't miss any of it--I wouldn't repeat childhood, or high school, or college. My children's infancy and toddler hood is the very first phase that I've wanted to stop at, to just freeze time for a while and I can't and that sucks, and I'm not quite sure how to deal because I've never done this before. Sigh.

In (much) happier news, Josh will be defending his dissertation next Friday. In layman's terms, that means he'll pretty much be finished with his PhD. Hot damn and Hallelujah.


This is what happens when you let daddy have a turn at doing hair

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...