Monday, May 17, 2010

One More Week


All the moms at a going away party that was thrown for us this weekend

I know, the blog updates are few and far between. That would be because we are moving across the country in one more week. I'm infinitely better than I was, but still sick (and very nervous about this whole "3 (or 4?) days in the car" thing), and our to-do list is shrinking, but still mind-boggling long.

There have been lots of tears over us leaving, which I get, I really do, because I'm not exactly eager to move either. But as much as I complain about leaving EVERYONE I know and the hot, humid Texas weather (who's going to love the weather for me when I leave?? I seem to be the only one who appreciates it!), there is an awful lot to be thankful for with this move. In the middle of an uncertain economy, my newly graduated husband has been offered a fabulous, well paying, great benefits post-doc position at a highly regarded lab. Since it IS a post-doc position, it is by definition temporary, but in a flexible sense--he will have a chance to take time looking for a "real" job when he's done while he's still on the payroll up there. And with any luck at all, that "real" job will be right back here where we started. All because I just happened to make a facebook status update at an opportune time, we have lined up friends to rent our house here so we don't have to worry about it being trashed and we still get to keep it. Most importantly, we're all healthy (well, okay, I'm healthy aside from my baby induced tummy troubles) and we're setting out on a short-term adventure that will give all of us the opportunity to get out of our rut and see parts of the country none of us have ever seen before.

We will most definitely miss everyone, but in this age of technology and internet, we know we will be able to keep in touch and we know it won't be too long before we see everyone again.

2 comments:

Marti Kubena said...

Good outlook! I know you guys will have fun. I'm so glad we took our opportunity to move around the country, and you will be too! Hopefully the move will keep you distracted from the tummy troubles!

Danielle said...

What a great way to look at this - an adventure! We wish you luck Kimberly and hope that you guys will end up back here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...