Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Attack of the Green Monster!

Sierra picked out Fun Dip valentines to hand out at school---you know the colored sugar with a candy dipping stick? yeah, the other parents are gonna LOVE us. I figure it's retaliation for all those birthday party invites that keep coming home. I know it's polite and all to invite everyone in the class, but the kids all know they got the invite, so Sierra gets all excited and then I have to be the no fun mom because I am not going to take my 3 year old to 17 different birthday parties throughout the year (and buy 17 presents, and feel like I have to throw a huge party and give out 17 goodie bags). Anyways, back to the Fun Dip. There were more in the pack than we need, so I let Sierra have one. My oh my did she enjoy herself LOL She couldn't resist eating the candy stick, so she finished off the sugar with her finger. She was quite a sight to behold:



Got powdered buttermilk this weekend. I haven't tried biscuits yet (that would be the true test), but it worked great in pancakes. My tamales I made last night came out wonderful. This was my 4th or 5th time making tamales and I finally got it right (with the help of my kitchen aid food processor I got for christmas last year and LOTS of chili powder and cayenne). Tonight I made up the chicken pot pie and still had a little bit of chicken leftover. It's not quite a great bargain if you go throwing the food away, so I wanted to come up with something else to do. I ended up shredding it and mixing it with barbecue sauce for sandwiches. I remember when I was a kid, I thought my dad was the best and most innovative chef around because he turned pot roast into chopped BBQ beef sandwiches one night. Now that I'm older I'm thinking either there wasn't a whole lot else in the house that night or he was too tired to cook, but the idea has stuck with me and made quite a yummy dinner!

And we learned that chickens like shiny things. Really like shiny things. We have a light hanging over their box and made a little reflector shield out of aluminum foil so it makes a nice warm spot in the box for them. We were standing over them today trying to think of names and one particularly brave chick (perhaps she should be named evel knievel or adrenaline junkie) took a flying leap (they're on a towel and the edge is folded up so it's maybe 1.5 inches off the bottom) and grabbed the edge of the aluminum foil on the light and actually HUNG ON and swung there for a few seconds. When she finally let go, all the other chicks ran over as if to say, "Dude! Sweet jump!" If only I had it on video. The light has now been raised.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...