Saturday, August 28, 2010

I'm back...kind of

I'm sure you've noticed I haven't been around (or maybe you haven't....my blog traffic is in the toilet this week). We lost my grandmother to Alzheimer's this week. Well, actually, we lost her to Alzheimer's in a sometimes slow and sometimes fast progression of symptoms over the last few years. It's an awful disease that steals first your judgment, then your memories, your daily life capabilities, and finally your physical functioning. It's difficult to explain to your 6 year old that has seen first hand what the disease does that we don't know what causes it and we don't have a way to fix it. Since she was perfectly healthy otherwise, we watched her succumb to every step of the Alzheimer's itself. My mother was her caretaker. She treated her with honor, with respect, and she did everything she could possibly think of to love her and comfort her right through the very end.

We drove the 2,000 miles here from Montana in the hopes of telling her we loved her one more time, but the end went too fast and we didn't make it in time. I'm sure somewhere behind the tangling brain plaques, she knew though.

I'll probably be back to blogging by the end of next week. I still have things from last week I've partially written and just haven't posted yet, and there will be quilt updates (I brought both quilts with me and just hand quilt both), not to mention "homeschooling on the go" posts. First, we have to figure out where we're going to be staying for the next 3 months or so and get all of that set up.

4 comments:

Snyder Central said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother passing. I lost my Grandfather to Alzheimer's as well. It's an AWFUL disease. I hope you find a place to settle in.

Karen said...

I'm sorry about your Grandma. I too have seen the effects of the disease, it's not so much fun to watch a perfectly otherwise healthy person loose their mind like that. I'm glad you were able to make it down there at all to be with family, even if it wasn't in time to say good-bye. I know from experience that she probably already knew, but couldn't voice it. Good luck in B/CS and enjoy the weather vs. Montana

Cibatarian said...

(this is Kelly from Josh's former lab)

I'm sorry for your loss. My family also lost our grandfather to Alzheimers about two months ago. It's an indescribable loss and the emotions around it get so very tangled. Your family has the empathy of ours.

When you're back in B/CS let us know if there's anything we can do for you all.

Dr. White said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother...I know how much she meant to you and how many life skills you have learned through her. She has given you so much to remember her by...prayers are with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...