Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Back to Quilt Piecing!

Disclaimer: I am in no way a quilting expert. I have learned solely from trial and error (emphasis on error) and reading on the internet. I have only made 4 quilt tops and have hand quilted 1 top and machine quilted 4 tops. I am not saying everything I do is the right way to do it, just sharing what I've picked up so far. You'll probably learn best by trial and error too ;-)

Well, getting horrendously sick at the beginning of this pregnancy put a bit of a damper on my quilt making plans. Then, we actually moved to Montana and I realized we need those quilts even in July!! I finally had Josh set up my sewing table for me and show me where he had packed all the pieces to the quilts and I got to work on finishing them. We went through my fabric bins and found scraps big enough to use for the border of the spindrift quilt and I also got started on finishing out the piecing on the scrap happy quilt. Here's what I have so far on scrap happyEach of the blocks and the sashing in the rows are sewn together, but I haven't yet ironed the seams or joined the rows. This is 5 rows and there are 15 rows total (and in that picture, it's laying on my queen size bed...it's gonna be huge!). And I don't think I ever posted a picture of what my edge fabric was going to be on this one, so here's that (Sierra helped pick it, I think she did a good job!)

I'm planning to have the scrap happy top completely done and ready for quilting by the end of the week. It'll be interesting to get the backing for that one just right, it's the biggest quilt I've ever made and I'm pretty sure I'll have to piece 3 strips of fabric together to cover the back. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to hand quilt this one. I can't come up with a quilt pattern that compliments the quilt and can be done somewhat easily on my machine. What I have in mind would require so much starting and stopping, I think it'd actually be harder on the machine. Still mulling this over though.

The middle of the spindrift quilt is completely done, once I get the borders on (which will only take me a day or two...I'll post about it when I do it) it will be ready to quilt. I am planning to do that one on the machine.


Quilt Step One: Planning
Quilt Step Two: Cutting Fabric, Preparing Machine
Quilt Step Three: Piecing The Quilt
Quilt: Piecing, Continued
Quilt: More Piecing
Quilt: Scrap Happy Blocks Pieced
Quilt: Spindrift Pieced
Quilt Step Four: Sashing
Quilt Step Five: Border

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...